Last Updated on March 2, 2020 by Jake
Everybody who plays disc golf knows that the basket is a vital piece of equipment to play the game. Nothing is more satisfying than banging chains and seeing your disc fall into the basket! Whether you are looking for a little practice at home or looking to set up a full size course, you should be looking for the best portable disc golf basket possible.
In this post, we’re going to go through our picks for the best portable disc golf basket for every type of golfer. If you stay until the end, we’ll go over some buying tips for disc golf baskets as well.
*Note* In this post, we’re only going to focus on the best portable disc golf baskets because most permanent baskets require specialized skill to install and many of the portable options work just as well!
In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top Picks:
|MVP Black Hole Pro 24-Chain Portable Disc Golf Basket Target||Check Price on Amazon|
|Axiom Discs Pro 24-Chain Disc Golf Basket - Orange||Check Price on Amazon|
|Innova DISCatcher Traveler Target – Portable, Lightweight Disc Golf Basket, Colors May Vary, Yellow||Check Price on Amazon|
|Yaheetech Portable Disc Golf Basket - Lightweight Double Chains Portable Practice Target Steel Hole Disc Golf Goals Catcher||Check Price on Amazon|
|Franklin Sports Disc Golf Set – Disc Golf – Includes Disc Golf Basket, Three Golf Discs and Carrying Bag||Check Price on Amazon|
Best Portable Disc Golf Basket Reviews
MVP Black Hole Pro 24-Chain Portable Disc Golf Basket
Best Portable Disc Golf Basket Overall
- 24 HIGH VISIBILITY zinc coated heavy duty course weighted chains
- 12 OUTER AND 12 INNER chains equidistantly oriented for zero weak pockets - reducing cut throughs and pole bounces
- STURDY - all-metal construction
- UNIQUELY ENGINEERED - assembles or disassembles in under 1 minute
- PDGA APPROVED - built to standard PDGA height and size regulation
There are no weaknesses when it comes to the MVP Black Hole Pro Portable Disc Golf Basket. The basket is perfectly balanced with 24 weighted chains on two separate loops – one inner and one outer. All of the chains are equidistant so there are no weak spots, virtually eliminating the possibility of pole bounces and reducing the risk of cut throughs.
The metal design is sturdy and has a base that can easily be buried or weighted down. That makes this basket a great option for somebody looking to build a permanent disc golf course as well. Despite the sturdiness, the MVP Black Hole couldn’t be easier to set up and tear down. It literally takes less than 2 minutes to assemble and disassemble.
Lastly, the basket is built to approved PDGA height and regulation, so this is a great disc golf basket for practice.
- Near flawless construction and consistency.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble.
- PDGA approved.
- Can be used for serious practice or on a permanent course.
- The Transit Bag carrying case is sold separately.
Axiom Discs Pro 24-Chain Disc Golf Basket
Best Disc Golf Basket for Home Practice
- Features 2 Rows of Chains
- 24 Total Chains
- Powder Coated
- Can only be shipped to continental USA
Axiom Discs makes a quality product when it comes to their Pro 24 chain disc golf basket. As you’d expect, the basket is designed with an inner and outer circle – each consisting of 12 chains. It’s PDGA approved and built to specs so that you can be sure you are getting good practice in.
One super fun feature of Axiom Discs is that they offer their baskets in 8 different colors! It’s a great change of pace from the typical grays, blacks, and steel colors you usually see. The colored metal on the Axiom Discs Pro is powder coated which gives it an extra layer of protection in the elements.
The assembly is fast and easy so you can store the basket in your closet or garage when it isn’t in use.
- Sturdy and consistent design.
- Assembly process takes less than 1 minute.
- PDGA approved.
- Great for in home practice.
- Multiple color selections.
- Doesn’t have a carrying case.
Innova DISCatcher Traveler Target
Best Portable Disc Golf Basket for Travel
- SIMPLE TRANSPORT & SET UP: Comes with matching tote bag for quick transportation and storage; Easy one-action set up
- STURDY DESIGN: 12 steel chains help better mimic a permanent target; Five legs create a wide, solid base; Anchor rings and stakes help secure on uneven surfaces and windy days
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighs just 15 pounds; Our lightest portable target
- MESH FABRIC: Extra wide basket tray is made of lightweight, durable, quick-drying mesh; Designed to withstand wind and weather
- PORTABLE: Perfect for camping, trips to the beach, adventures in the mountains or on a trip to the park; Also great for schools, churches, and youth camps
If you’ve ever wanted to play disc golf on the beach, in the mountains, or out camping, this is the best portable disc golf basket for you. Transportation and set up of the Innova DISCatcher Traveler couldn’t be easier, and it’s a breeze to store when not in use.
Full disclaimer – this is not a full size disc golf basket. There are only 12 chains around one circle to catch discs. Naturally, that’s going to lead to a few bounce outs that might not happen on a full size basket. But, I like to view it as hitting a target that’s even smaller than a regulation basket, so putting at a full size becomes easier after practicing on a smaller one.
The DISCatcher is lightweight and largely constructed of mesh. This makes it super versatile, and the included anchor rings and stakes make it easy to anchor down if it’s windy outside.
- Incredibly lightweight and durable.
- Takes seconds to set up.
- Easy to transport with a travel bag included.
- Weighs only 15 pounds.
- 3 different color options.
- Not a full size PDGA approved basket (but this could be a pro if you like the tougher challenge).
Yaheetech Portable Disc Golf Basket
Best Portable Disc Golf Basket Under $100
- Good durability: Our disc golf basket is constructed of powder-coated metal frame and galvanized chains. The excellent rust and weather resistance gives this flying disc basket the ability to withstand the elements, making it an ideal disc sports accessory for outdoors.
- Stable & Robust: This solid basket contains 12 strands of heavy-duty chain for better catching; welded joints and big base frame strengthen the stability of this basket; comes with 3 ground stakes for double stability, no need to worry about tipping over by the hit from the disc or wind.
- Portable & Easy-to-store: Built in a lightweight and collapsible structure, convenient to move and transport; can be simply disassembled into a flat and compact size when not in use.
- Thoughtful details: Featuring a 64 cm / 25.2’’ basket for catching and storing the disc; comes with an eye-catching flag on top to help improve the accuracy of your throw; 3 ground anchors are included for double security.
- Simple assembly: To ensure quick setup and disassembly, this flying disc basket only contains 6 pieces (base, base rod, basket, top rod, chain belt, and top ring), which only takes you a few minutes to set up under the detailed instructions.
If you are a disc golfer looking to get some practice in on a budget, the Yaheetech Portable Disc Golf Basket is one to check out. Typically its price point is less than $75, and it’s a full size portable basket.
Now, while it’s a full size it’s not technichally PDGA approved specs, which may or may not be a big deal to you. This is because the chains aren’t configured with two circles holding chains equidistant from one another. The chain pattern is more like a checker board, which is not how on course baskets are designed.
That’s not necessarily a bad thing though. Chains like this will still catch putts and most mid range shots, but they likely aren’t going to hold a 350′ drive that you happened to bang into the chains. So that might be perfect for the person who wants to just get some practice in the backyard.
- Super cheap, this price point is hard to beat.
- Doesn’t need to attach to the ground and is easy to transport.
- Rust and weather resistant.
- Great for short game practice.
- Not a PDGA approved basket.
- Has trouble holding shots with speed.
Franklin Sports Disc Golf Set
Best Portable Disc Golf Basket for Beginners
- COMPLETE SET: This complete disc golf set from Franklin Sports is the perfect yard game for a family picnic, barbecue, or other get-together
- EASY SET UP: The sturdy easy assembly frame design makes setup quick on nearly any surface. The unique umbrella shape provides foldable simplicity, so you can play disc golf almost anywhere
- DISC GOLF DISCS: Three disc golf discs are included. They’re great for learning to play disc golf or for casual practice-fun for all ages
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED: This disc golf set includes everything you need for an afternoon of fun backyard play. From the beach to the lawn, and almost anywhere in between, there’s no better disc golf game for the price
- EASY TRANSPORT: This Franklin disc golf game folds up and down for easy transport and storage. This set makes a great portable beach game, yard game, or backyard game
Franklin Sports makes an all in one package for you if you’re new to the game of disc golf. Everything you need to get going is included in this set, which has a 12 chain basket, 3 discs, and a travel case.
The basket itself is made of nylon with a single circle, 12 chain design to catch the discs. The chain is actually made of plastic, unlike metal in most disc golf baskets. That will mean not quite as true of a catch, but on the bright side it’s much quieter if you plan on using it at your home.
Franklin’s disc golf set comes at a great price too! It really is a perfect introduction to the game and the best portable disc golf basket for beginners. The downside is that if you end up liking the game, you may outgrow this set pretty quickly. In particular, the discs aren’t the highest quality and can be upgraded to better discs that cost around $10.
- Great price point.
- All you need to play is included in this set.
- Lightweight and easy to store.
- Great for backyard practice.
- Not a PDGA approved basket.
- Has trouble holding shots with speed.
- Discs included can be outgrown quickly.
MVP Disc Sports Black Hole Micro Disc Golf Basket
- 6.5" height Micro Disc Basket with Black Hole style
- 12 micro chains
- Perfect scale for coins and bottle caps
- Fun conversation piece for work or home
- 1/8" welded wire construction
You may think including the MVP Black Hole Micro Disc Golf Basket on this list is a joke, but I assure you it’s not 🙂
This thing is as portable as portable can get. Standing at only 6.5″ tall, it’s perfect for putting on a desk or night stand and makes a great gift. It’s not just for show either!
The basket easily catches coins and bottle caps, so you can make a fun game out of that in the garage. Or if you enjoy getting into adult beverages, I’ve heard there are some pretty fun drinking games you can play with the Micro Disc Golf Basket.
- Great gift for disc golfers.
- Encourages creativity with new games.
- Catches coins and bottle caps.
- Very cheap.
- Doesn’t catch discs.
Tips for Buying the Best Portable Disc Golf Basket
Any time you are going to buy something that will likely cost more than $100, it’s best to think about what’s most important about the purchase. Here are a few things to consider when shopping for the best portable disc golf basket.
How important is it to you that the basket is PDGA approved? Approved baskets are going to be the exact same kind of basket you’ll find on the course. Non approved baskets can still definitely get the job done, but the chains may not react the same way an approved basket would.
You may just be looking for a basket to practice your short game. If that’s the case, then a PDGA approval might not matter. Either way, it’s something to consider before buying.
How often do you actually plan on moving your portable disc golf basket? If you are a true adventurer who wants to bring it with on camping and beach trips, your best bet is going to be something lightweight with a carrying case.
On the other hand, you may just want to set up a basket that has a more permanent location. If that’s the case, you can definitely afford to get something sturdier.
For hardcore disc golfers, the best disc golf basket can almost be viewed as an investment. If you plan on playing multiple times per week, we suggest paying the extra to get something nice that you will be satisfied with.
Baskets that are made from solid materials will be weather resistant and last a long time. The last thing you would want it to buy something that rusts and breaks down after intermediate use.
There you go! If you think we missed one of the best portable disc golf baskets in this post, let us know in the comments section below. We hope this post has been informative in helping you find the right disc golf basket.
Last update on 2021-01-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API