Last Updated on March 3, 2020 by Jake
Few sports are as universally accessible as darts. It’s a must-have in every bar, game room, and man cave. To play darts all you need a dartboard, some darts, and players. In this post we will specifically be looking at the darts themselves.
Darts can be steel tip or soft tip, each has its advantages and disadvantages. However, steel tip darts are the overwhelming favorite among darts enthusiasts for a variety of reasons. The best steel tip darts have to be well-balanced, comfortable to throw, and durable. Darts usually come in a set in multiples of three.
In a Rush? Here’s Our Top Picks:
|IgnatGames Steel Tip Darts Set - Professional Darts with Aluminum Shafts, Rubber O'Rings, and Extra Flights + Dart Sharpener + Innovative Case + Darts Guide (Mega Blast)||Check Price on Amazon|
|CC-Exquisite Professional Steel Tip Darts Set - 6 x 22g Brass Barrels with 12 Flights Standard/Slim, 12 Aluminum Shafts 35/48mm, 12 O-Rings, Dart Tool, Dart Sharpener and Case||Check Price on Amazon|
|Centaur 6 Pack Steel Tip Darts, Professional Metal Dart Tips Set 22 Grams with Aluminum Shafts and 2 Style Flights + Dart Sharpener + Dart Case||Check Price on Amazon|
|CUESOUL Tungsten Steel Tip Darts 90% Tungsten - Precise Barrels 24 Grams||Check Price on Amazon|
|Darts By All In Gear King Cobra Strikes 3 Dart Set 24 Grams Brass Barrels Steel Tips 6 Aluminum Shafts 3 PET Flights For dart board||Check Price on Amazon|
|Sametop 12 Packs Steel Tip Darts Set 22 Grams with Different Style Flights, Aluminum Shafts, Nickel Silver Barrels and Dart Sharpener||Check Price on Amazon|
|PerfectDarts 26g HARROWS Wolfram Tungsten Darts Set||Check Price on Amazon|
|KO Steel Tip Darts, 24 Gram 90% Tungsten Darts with Case, Professional Dart Set||Check Price on Amazon|
|Bottelsen 80 Series 80% Tungsten Hammer Head Steel Tip Black Steal 1/4-Inch Diameter Dart, 26 Gram||Check Price on Amazon|
|Elkadart Black Mamba 80% Tungsten Steel Tip Darts with Storage/Travel Case, 20 Grams||Check Price on Amazon|
How to Choose the Best Steel Tip Darts
There are several features to consider when getting a steel tip dart set. We will help you make the best choice by going through the features of the best darts as well as providing you with reviews of the best steel tip darts on the market.
Darts are made from different materials and come in different lengths. A dart’s composition and construction determined not only its durability but also its flight. The tips of all the darts in this article are steel as per the title.
Barrel– The barrel consists of the middle section of the dart and makes up most of the dart. It usually referred to as the grip as it’s the part you hold when throwing the dart. The best darts have tungsten barrels. Tungsten is a durable metal and one of the strongest metals on earth. These types of barrels aren’t 100 percent tungsten since this metal is quite brittle. Tungsten barrels are made of an alloy of 80%-90% tungsten and nickel. Other options include brass, nickel, silver and even wood.
Shaft – The best darts have aluminum shafts. These can be B2A or anodized aluminum. Other options include PVC and nylon. The shaft connects to the barrel to the flight.
Flight – This is the backend of the dart. The flight is also called the wings or the fins. Popular flight shapes include pear, kite and slim. They are usually made of plastic, nylon or textured nylon. The flight helps the dart to fly straight.
Steel Tip Dart Weight
The weight of darts usually ranges from 22 grams to 50 grams. Lighter darts are easier to throw and are ideal for beginners. On the other hand, heavier darts provide more feedback and have a more “true” or consistent flight. Most people prefer darts with weights between 21 to 26 grams but ultimately the weight preference is up to the player.
Steel Tip Dart Length
Darts come in many lengths. Shorter darts are easier to throw but have a less straight flight. Long darts may not feel as comfortable to throw as short darts but they fly straighter. There is no perfect length. You have to choose a length that feels best to you. Most experts maintain that a dart needs to be just a bit longer than your hand is.
Best Steel Tip Darts Reviews
IgnatGames Steel Tip Darts
- Carry Your Darts Set Easily: This darts metal tip set comes in an innovative case. Featuring a unique design with magnetic closure, this is the perfect place to store your darts set. The custom-made EVA foam interior protects them against loss and scratches. Stylish and practical, this steel tip darts set is also a great gift for darts fans.
- Enjoy More Accuracy: The different weights professional steel darts set with strategically-knurled brass barrels offers a firm grip for higher precision. This steel darts set’s resistant aluminum shafts won’t bend or break. Fitted with rubber O-rings, they can’t come loose during the game. Reshape your steel darts tips with the included dart sharpener and darts wrench to prevent bounce-outs.
- Gain Enhanced Control: These sturdy metal darts improve your skills and confidence by providing optimum lift and stability. Ideal both for casual and professional players, they are accompanied by 10 beautifully-designed extra flights. Once purchased, register your darts steel tip set online and enjoy a 10-year warranty.
- Improve Your Darts Knowledge: Enjoy your darts steel tip set professional with our free eBook "35 Ways to Play Darts". This step-by-step guide features illustrations, darts scoreboard templates, and useful tips that will help you perfect your technique. It can also be purchased separately for Kindle.
- This Professional Steel Tip Darts Package Includes Everything You Need to Streamline Your Game: 12 elegant darts with brass barrels and aluminum shafts, 32 flights with unique designs, and two tools to help you keep your darts in perfect shape.
Although the brass barrel makes these darts less durable than darts with tungsten barrels, they are still one of the people’s favorite. Maybe that’s because of their affordable price. Well, the price is surely one of the reasons for their popularity.
However, they are well designed and function excellently. They feel good in the hand and fly straight. For beginners and casual throwers, the IgnatGames Steel Tip Darts are a must-have.
Material – brass barrel, aluminum shaft
Weight – 22 grams
- Affordable price.
- Comes with a magnetic closure dart case, an eBook and a sharpener.
- Not as durable as tungsten darts.
- A nuisance to assemble, and needs frequent tightening.
CC-Exquisite Professional Darts Set
- THE PERFECT COMBINATION OF BARREL, SHAFT and FLIGHT can take a long time to discover! CC-EXQUISITE DARTS SET gives you the possibility of choice and experiment; you can try different combinations of barrels, flights and shaft lengths to DISCOVER THE RIGHT CONFIGURATION like a pro.
- SUPERIOR STEEL TIP DARTS SET includes: 6 x 22g High Quality UNBREAKABLE BRASS BARRELS + 12 EXTRA DURABLE Aluminum Shafts in two lengths (6 x 35mm/6 x 48mm) + 12 O-RINGS to Prevent Loosening + 12 Flights in two different shapes and designs (6 Standard/6 Slim) + Darts Multi-Use Tool + Darts Sharpener and SLIM CASE.
- MULTIPLE SET-UP OPTIONS. Experimentation will help you discover the perfect dart setup for your style. Creating your Custom Accessory Configuration, you will be able to find the best possible combination to suit your own style and ability.
- ESSENTIAL TO DEVELOP AND IMPROVE YOUR SKILLS! The right setup is a very personal thing which you will find after experimenting with your darts. Try different accessory combinations for your set of darts to see which works better for you, find a set-up that you feel comfortable with, and your friends will brag about your throwing skills!
- OUR PROFESSIONAL DARTS ARE MADE TO LAST. Designed to be the choice of future champions, our bundle gives you what many professional players have already discovered: the custom dart setup!
CC-Exquisite Professional Darts are designed for people who want a quality dart set without spending too much. This dart set is highly customizable as it includes barrels and shafts of different sizes and weights. Also included in the set are six O-rings, a dart sharpener, and a carrying case.
On the other hand, the black finish on the dart starts to peel off after a while. While this doesn’t affect durable or performance, it affects the appearance of the darts.
Material – aluminum shaft, brass barrels
Shaft length – 35/40mm
Weight – 18 grams to 24 grams (weight is customizable)
- Highly customizable.
- Good quality darts.
- Comes complete with many extra accessories you may need such as sharpener, multi-use tool, O-rings and a carrying case.
- Barrels are not made of tungsten.
- The black finish on the dart peels off after a while.
Centaur Steel Tip Darts
- 【HIGH QUALITY STEEL TIP DARTS】Made of high quality nickel plated steel barrels that provide exceptional balance and styling. If you want the fully customizable professional darts set, please click the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0986Z18VM
- 【UNBREAKABLE DART SHAFTS】Made with 2BA Aluminum instead of those those PVC rods, our tip darts are much more durable. Nylon O-ring on dart shafts to prevent loosing when throwing darts.
- 【STYLISH DART FLIGHTS】The poly dart flights help increase speed and reduce drag, laser effect makes them shining and attractive in each way.
- 【SHARPEN YOUR SKILL】Each steel dart weighs 22g; the heavier the dart the more stable the flight, which should enable you to hit your target more often.
- 【IDEAL FOR DARTS PLAYERS】Metal darts set is designed to look and feel elegant and stylish. Set in an innovative case, it's an ideal gift for birthday, Christmas and any other gift-giving occasions. If you want more stylish darts flights, click https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E8AV85I.
Centaur Steel Tip Darts have steel barrels with is uncommon. This also makes the barrel more prone to rusting if not properly cared for. Also, with each dart weighing in at just 20 grams, Centaur steel tip darts are among the lightest darts in our list.
The lightness of the darts may require getting used to. On the plus side, the shaft is made of 2BA aluminum, which is extremely durable. The lightweight nature and design of these darts allow them to travel fast and with less drag.
Dimensions – 9 mm/0.35 inches diameter, 82 mm/3.23 inches length
Material – steel barrel, stainless steel tip, 2BA aluminum shaft
Shaft length – 45 mm/1.77 inches
Weight – 20 grams
- Great price.
- Designed to travel with speed thus giving you a better chance at hitting the target.
- Barrels are made of steel.
CUESOUL Tungsten Steel Tip Dart
- CUESOUL Darts : Make NEW friends and enjoy Better Health
- 1 Distinctive Design Slim Case,7.1mm /0.279"( Max.),50mm/1.96"
- 2 Sets of 2BA Size Medium Dart Shafts (6 Pieces), Blue
- 2 Sets of Plastic Standard Dart Flights
- 3 * 24 Grams Tungsten Steel Tip Barrels 90% Tungsten
With 95% tungsten barrels and anodized aluminum shafts, CUESOUL Tungsten Steel Tip Darts are made to last. Additionally, they are customizable. You can switch the shafts to add weight to the dart or lessen the weight of the dart. It also comes with different flights.
This allows you to experiment with different weights and flight style. The barrels of the darts have knurls and grooves to provide a good grip. The set also includes a sharpener, a toolset, and a case. For what it offers, the price is great.
Dimensions- 7.5 mm/0.295 inches diameter, 51 mm/2 inches length
Material – anodized aluminum shaft
Shaft length – 46 mm/1.8 inches
Weight – 30, 28, & 26 grams
- 95% tungsten barrels. This makes the darts very durable.
- Anodized aluminum shaft adds to the durability of the darts.
- Highly customizable.
- No discernable negatives.
All In Gear Steel Tip Darts – King Cobra Strikes
- THE LOOK AND FEEL - A dart set vision with a unique brass pro grip barrel design that feels like snake skin. The streamlined designs and superb level grip and control provides throwing value for players wishing to improve their game.
- ACCURACY - The Brass knurled grip rings are crafted to provide ultimate level handling control with each throw. Hitting the bulls eye has never been easier and more consistent, you will appreciate the 24 gram strike when it sinks into the dartboard.
- BALANCE - Feel the weight these steel tip 24 gram brass darts and 48 mm or 35 mm aluminum shafts, thick heavy duty PET flights make this dart set a deadly shot on any bulls eye. Tungsten players will appreciate how these fly and stick to the board
- QUALITY-The King Cobra is designed for all players. Durable brass metal barrels, steel tips, aluminum shaft and PET flight. Each new set comes with 3 dart points and 3 heavy duty flights, 6 aluminum shafts packed in a fun slim case.
- PLAYER LEVEL - Be the King of the scoreboard with these professional darts made for casual to elite players who want to up their game. This pack will be great addition to your dartboard.
Not only are All In Gear Steel Tip Darts sleek and stylish darts well-made, but they also effective. The pro grip design allows for an excellent grip, which enables you to have better control of the dart’s flight. The brass barrels and aluminum shafts mean these darts are quite strong. The darts come in a sleek case for easy storage. They are perfect for newbies as well as experienced players.
Material – aluminum shafts, brass barrels
Shaft length – 48 mm or 35 mm
Weight – 21/22/23/24 grams
- Moderately priced
- PET flights that come with this set are heavy duty.
- Great entry level darts
- It is difficult to affix the flights onto the shafts.
Sametop Steel Tip Darts
- 🎯Superior Steel Tip Darts: The darts steel tip set is equipped with aluminum dart shafts that are much durable than PVC rods since metal dart shafts characterize exceptional damage resistance to the scratches, drops, and bumps for frequent use. Black steel dart needle is sturdy and sticking to the dartboard firmly.
- ⚖️Unique Design to Improve Accuracy: Dart weight as 22g and nickel-coated dart barrel that is strategically machined grooves enable players have comfortable grip and great feeling for every throw. The multiple dart flights not only make darts attractive, but also features reduced drag, less deflection and traveling through the air uniformly.
- 📌Bonus to Steel Darts: Upgraded darts steel tip set is fitted rubber o-ring between dart shaft and barrel to keep your dart firmly tight and avoid stripping out during rounds. A sharpener stone is used to sharpen the dart tips when they become blunt and bouncing. Always make darts in superb form.
- 🏠Wide Application to Enjoy Games: These steel tipped darts are suitable for all-level players for recreational activities or professional practice. Bar, household, office and game room are preferred sites to enjoy the games. It's also a great gift for birthday, Christmas, Halloween and other celebration.
- 🎁High Cost Performance Darts Set: Darts and accessories are preserved in a exquisite box which includes 12 x steel tip darts / 1 x dart sharpener / 15 x pattern flight (3 extra flights as a gift).
Sametop Steel Tip Darts may not be professional grade but they are excellent for recreational fun and casual gameplay. They are very reasonably priced and go wonderfully with national flag flights that are included. A cylindrical case comes with this product as well as a dart sharpener. If you want a set of fun darts for your rec room, college dorm or bar, then these darts are perfect.
Material – nickel silver barrel, aluminum shaft
Weight – 22 grams
- Highly affordable.
- Excellent starter darts.
- Doesn’t perform as well as other more expensive higher quality darts.
- Barrels aren’t tungsten.
Harrows Wolfram Dart Set
With barrels made of 97 percent tungsten, it comes as no surprise that Harrows Wolfram Dart Set are called Wolfram (another name for tungsten). As you can see, the barrel of this dart is one of the truest on the market, and they are sure to last. The barrels also have stylish concentric grooves, which are not only attractive but also effective. This dart set comes in 4 different weights – 22 grams, 23 grams, 24 grams, and 25 grams.
Material – 97% tungsten barrel, plastic shaft
Barrel diameter – 5.08 mm (1/5 inches)
Weight – 22 to 25 grams
- Durable top of the line darts.
- Well-balanced and great grip.
- Expertly made.
- High priced.
KO Steel Tip Darts
- Features the Perfect Grip Groove which allows you to find your perfect grip every time without looking at the dart. Consistency is the difference between a good player and a pro.
- Designed using input from professionals and amateurs to help any level of player become more consistent.
- Each set is match weighed to an industry leading +/- 0.05 gram weight tolerance, comes with a 30 day money back guarantee and a Lifetime Barrel Guarantee.
- 24 gram Tungsten Steel Tip Darts with a Hard Plastic Drop In Case
- Specifications: 50 mm Barrel Length, 6.6 mm Barrel Diameter, 42 mm Shaft Length
These darts have a lifetime barrel guarantee. This clearly shows just how much the manufacturers believe in the quality of their product (especially the most expensive part – the barrel). The concentric grooves around the barrels allow you to have a good grip while you throw.
The lightweight shafts of these darts are made of nylon. Overall, the KO Steel Tip Darts with 90 percent tungsten barrels are worthy of consideration.
Dimensions – 50 mm Barrel Length; 6.6 mm Barrel Diameter
Material – 90% tungsten barrel, nylon shaft
Shaft length – 42 mm Shaft Length
Weight – 24 grams
- Lifetime Barrel guarantee in addition to a 30-day money back guarantee.
- 90% tungsten barrel.
- Durable and well-made.
- Another highly priced dart set. (Which should be expected, as these darts are top of the line.)
Bottelsen 80 Series
- Packaged in a Top Box carrying case
- Features 80% Tungsten Barrel
- Aluminum Shafts
- Country of Origin:China
The Bottelsen brand is known for its excellent darts, and the Bottelsen 80 Series is no exception. Bottelsen 80 series darts are called 80 series because the barrels are 80 percent tungsten. These excellent darts are geared towards expert darts players.
They offer both superior performance and durability. The steel tip is retractable, which helps prevent bounce backs. The Bottelsen 80 series come in two weights – 24 grams and 26 grams. A carrying case comes along with the darts for easy storage.
Material – 80% tungsten barrel, aluminum shafts
Diameter – 1/4-Inch
Weight – 24 grams and 26 grams
- Offers superior performance and durability.
- Retractable steel tip for better gameplay and fewer bounce backs.
- 80% tungsten alloy barrel with excellent grip.
- Pricey. (Not actually a negative, since top-of-the-line darts are not cheap.)
Elkadart Black Mamba Darts
- Designed with high quality, 80% tungsten and 20% nickel barrels which offer exceptional balance and styling in a slim profile
- Each barrel has strategically placed knurled bands, deep grooves and rings that make excellent gripping points and encourages consistent hand placement
- Lightweight, aluminum shafts feature locking holes which allow for a tighter fitting that improves stability and greatly reduces the need to retighten during play
- Quality flights are constructed to help increase speed and reduce drag, delivering a consistent flight path for pinpoint accuracy; Each steel tip dart weighs 20 grams
- Darts are fashionably stored and protected in the slim-profile, hard-shell case; Proudly designed, manufactured, assembled and packaged in England
When it comes to appearance, this dart has it locked down. When it comes to performance, this dart is ergonomically designed for easy throwing. The durable barrels of these darts are 80 percent tungsten while the shafts are aluminum. As you can see, the Elkadart Black Mamba Darts are made to last long. A hard-shelled case comes with this dart set. The Elkadart Black Mamba darts come in four weights – 20 grams, 22 grams, 24 grams, and 26 grams.
Material – 80% tungsten barrels, aluminum shafts
Weight – 20 to 26 grams
- The barrels are made of 80% tungsten and 20% nickel. This makes them really durable.
- Aluminum shafts also add to the durability of these well-made darts.
- None. (For its price, it is a bargain.)
Caring for Your Steel Tip Darts
As with just about anything, high quality darts are usually expensive. As such, it is a good idea to keep them clean especially since sweat residue can cause the steel tips to corrode over time.
To prevent this, you can clean them with a mild cleaning solution. You should clean your darts regularly, not only when they feel greasy.
Last update on 2021-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API