Last Updated on August 10, 2020 by Jake
Know a gamer? Do you play video games yourself? Looking for gift ideas or equipment upgrades for gamers? You’ve come to the right place. Video games are an incredibly fun form of entertainment, and the industry isn’t going anywhere any time soon. For some, gaming is super casual and a great way to blow off steam. For others, video games are played for the competition. Nowadays, there are some serious prize pools attached to video game tournaments, so serious gamers want the best equipment possible.
Regardless of which kind of gamer you are, there is an entire industry built around providing top of the line PC’s, consoles, accessories, and peripherals to enhance your video game experience. In this post, we’re going to take a look at all of the gear that every gamer needs.
Ideas for Gamers
This list is compromised equally of essentials, peripherals, and things that will help gamers with their health. Without further ado, let’s get into the list!
- SIX - COLOR RGB LIGHTING ADJUSTABLE: Six colors RGB lamps with 3 modes: monochromatic change, flash and breathing modes, a cool and fashion addition at night, offering a cool gaming atmosphere make you easily enter into the role and win in a real battle station, meanwhile led light is a good alternative for electric - saving.
- SPACIOUS GAMING & WORK DESKTOP: AuAg black gaming computer desk is professionally designed for all your required gaming gear, 47.2”L × 24.4”W desktop with sleek carbon fiber texture is appropriate large enough space for 2 × 24 inch monitors, which is a spacious space for gaming monitors, PC, gaming keyboards or other gaming gear you need.
- FREE ASSORTED BONUS: All the free assorted accessories for this gaming desk is just for offering you a more comfortable feel and better play: two cables management grommets and hidden electric socket box provides a reasonable layout, make your desk perfectly organized. Free mouse pad for conveniently moving the mouse, headphone hook and cup holder make you have your drinks or headphone at hand while working or gaming.
- Y-SHAPED FRAME CONSTRUCTION: Y-shaped frame legs are constructed from hexagonal steel, and the waterproof MDF laminated board, ensures stability of all your game gears and durability of your desk, even can hold weight up to 330 lbs. Four leveling feet with adjustable leg pads ensure the table keeping stable even on uneven ground without wobbling.
- FAST & EASY INSTALLATION: All required tools, clear instruction and parts are included in the packages, no worry for installations.
A gaming desk is a must for any PC gamer. Obviously you could put your PC set up on any desk, but you can really do yourself a favor by getting a desk specifically designed for gaming.
Typically, a gaming desk is designed intuitively to maximize flow and efficiency for the gamer. Everything from storage, to plugs, to peripheral access is taken into account in a good design.
Everybody’s needs are different when it comes to space. You may have a small area dedicated to gaming or you may have an entire game room set up for video games. Either way, there is a gaming desk that is the right size for you.
We made a post on the best gaming desks which includes a buyer’s guide if you would like to see more in depth reviews!
- Music Gaming Chair: Designed with two Bluetooth speakers. The surround sound system brings out the best in your entertainment, delivering remarkable and richly detailed stereo sound out loud in solid bass and clear, full audio. Connect it to your smartphone, tablet or other Bluetooth-enabled devices, and enjoy music, mobile game or movie with thrilling, cinema-like sound from the comfort of your gaming chair.
- Buy Together: Purchase this gaming chair with GTRACING Bluetooth Adapter (Not Included), and you can easily connect your bluetooth chair to your laptop, pc and gaming consoles like PS4, PS5 and nintendo switch.
- Multi-Functional: Bluetooth speakers for 6-hour music play; Armrest and seat-height adjustable; 90~170°reclining and rocking; 360°swivel; 5-point base built with heavy duty; Smooth-rolling casters; Removable headrest pillow and lumbar cushion.
- Ergonomic Design: Strong metal frame designed to help promote a a neutral, balanced posture and reduce your pressure and pain, keeping you comfy after long hours of game or work.
- High Quality Material: Smooth PU leather upholstery; thick padded seat cushion made of high density foam; heavy-duty chair base and nylon smooth-rolling casters for great stability and mobility. Weight Capacity: 300lbs.
I don’t know about you guys but when I play games, it’s typically for an hour or more at a time. With that much time spent sitting down, it’s incredibly important to be sitting in something with an ergonomic design. Things like good posture and temperature regulation are necessary over the long term for gamers.
With that in mind, a gaming chair is probably one of the first things any serious gamer should invest in. Without a soundly designed gaming chair, a gamer will more than likely see negative physical side effects over the long run.
We’ve taken some time to compile a list of the best gaming chairs – both from an ergonomic and design perspective. Check it out if you are in the market for a gaming chair!
- Designed for gaming, the 2.4 grams connection delivers rock solid, lossless wireless audio with ultra-low latency and zero interference
- Widely recognized as the best mic in gaming, the discord certified clear cast microphone delivers studio quality voice clarity and background noise cancellation
- Sound is your competitive advantage with the s1 speaker drivers, engineered to produce ultra-low distortion audio so you hear every detail Effective Range: 12 m / 40 ft
- Immerse yourself in 360 degrees of precision audio with next generation DTS headphone: x v2.0 7.1 surround sound (pc only)
- 24 hour battery life gives you enough continuous play for even your longest gaming sessions; Compatible only with Pc, Mac, PS, Switch and Mobile; Headphone sensitivity: 98 dB
Gaming headsets aren’t just good for party chatting with friends and teammates. When it comes to equipment that helps your chances of winning in game, a gaming headset is near the top of the list. Particularly in first or third person shooter games, having a quality audio gaming headset is crucial.
Shooter games have audio design teams that create a realistic sound experience, and a proper gaming headset will allow the player to immerse in the experience. A quality headset can be the difference between getting snuck up on during a game or hearing your opponent coming.
Nowadays, audio technology is pretty amazing. Take a look at our post on the best gaming headsets to see what is available in the market today.
Custom PC Build
If you want to take the path of least resistance, there are a ton of turn key gaming PC’s you can buy. To be honest though, most of these packages are overpriced. For significantly less money, you can build a custom PC, often times with more horsepower, if you know what you are looking for.
Thankfully for you, we’ve written a detailed post on which components you’ll need to make a gaming PC build under $1,500. If you are looking for a gaming PC, this post is a must read. Don’t overpay for a gaming PC when you could build one more powerful yourself for less money.
- Anti-leak Tech Inside, exclusively safe. Flow route optimized to reduce operation noise and energy loss.
- 25% more skived fins on the back side of the copper base, the heat absorption area extensively increased. Ultra large copper base, extensive compatibility. It supports LGA20XX/1151/1150/1155/LGA1366 and TR4/AM4/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2/FM2+/FM2/FM1.
- 2 specially tuned TF120 S fans are included (in matching the radiator's properties).
- Customizable Logo, exciting DIY experience!!
- 5V 3-pin Addressable RGB, controlled by motherboard with 5V 3-pin ADD-RGB header or cable controller.
You’d be doing yourself a favor by investing in components designed to help the long term performance of your PC. Most gamers focus on how well their PC runs video games – which makes sense. But, adding something as simple as a CPU cooler can make a huge difference in performance after the PC has been in use for a few months.
CPU Coolers come in different shapes and sizes. Namely, there are water/liquid coolers, air coolers, and case fans. At some point in the future, we’ll do a deep dive post outlining the pros and cons of each along with CPU cooler reviews.
In any case, a CPU cooler is a worthwhile investment and often very affordable.
- Provides an extensible design that enables Service prioritization for data. Network Standard : IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Design that delivers high availability, scalability, and for maximum flexibility and price/performance
- Instant 802.11ac Wi-Fi Upgrade for your desktop PC: no more messy Ethernet cables needed
- Next-generation 802.11ac chipset for super-fast connections up to 867 Mbps. Security 64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP, WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WPS support
- OS Support-Windows 8.1 32bit/64bit, Windows 8 32bit/64bit,Windows 7 32bit/64bit,Windows Vista 2bit/64bit,Windows XP 32bit/64bit
WiFi technology has become incredibly efficient over the past decade. Generally speaking, it’s no longer a disadvantage to play video games on a WiFi connection vs a wired connection. So with that in mind, there’s really no need to mess with wires for your internet connection.
The “catch”, if you can even call it that, is that it’s probably a good idea to invest in a quality WiFi card or adapter for your gaming set up. You really just want to ensure you are getting the highest performance possible out of your internet connection. Most motherboards designed for gaming will have a PCIe slot to fit a WiFi adapter into it.
When you have a moment, check out our post on the best WiFi adapters for gaming. We’ve outlined what we think are the best products on the market today.
- WELL PROVEN QUALITY: The design of our thermal paste packagings has changed several times, the formula of the composition has remained unchanged, so our MX pastes have stood for high quality
- EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE: ARCTIC MX-4 thermal paste is made of carbon microparticles, guaranteeing extremely high thermal conductivity. This ensures that heat from the CPU/GPU is dissipated quickly & efficiently
- SAFE APPLICATION: The MX-4 is metal-free and non-electrical conductive which eliminates any risks of causing short circuit, adding more protection to the CPU and VGA cards
- HIGH DURABILITY: In contrast to metal and silicon thermal compound, the MX-4 does not compromise over time. Once applied, you do not need to apply it again as it will last at least for 8 years
- EASY TO APPLY: With an ideal consistency, the MX-4 is very easy to use, even for beginners
I’ve never met a gamer who only plays for 30 minutes at a time. More often than not, gaming sessions last for at minimum an hour. And it’s not uncommon for some to go 4 hours or more straight.
Doing that over and over can cause your PC to over heat. One super cheap component that can make a big difference when it comes to heat handling is thermal paste. PC’s come with thermal paste pre applied but many times it won’t last long.
That’s why spending a few bucks and fifteen minutes of your time to apply thermal paste is very worth it. Doing this every so often will create a ton of soft benefits for your PC in the long run. If you ever need help with application, check out our guide on how to apply thermal paste!
- 【Excellent gaming performance with 7200 DPI and 4 polling rate】 PICTEK T16 gaming mouse with default 5 DPI levels available from 1200 to 7200 DPI. Easily adjust to instantly match mouse speed to different games. 4 polling rate is adjustable: 125Hz/250Hz/500Hz/1000Hz, polling rate ensures smooth and high-speed movement.
- 【Chroma RGB backlit for extreme gaming experience】 upgraded version of PICTEK T7, with Chroma RGB lighting, up to 16. 8 million colors to fit your mood. Easily shut on AND off the backlight or change the color mode with the convenient switch on the bottom. Plus, adopts impressive optical gaming sensor, ensure quickly switch for different games.
- 【8 programmable buttons & fire button】 support macro editing, 8 mouse buttons can be programmed with PICTEK easy-to-program gaming software. The rapid Fire button gives you the edge you need during those intensive FPS battles. Great value FPS gaming mouse, also excellent for MOBA/ RTS games. (Driver Disk included)
- 【Ergonomic Design】 T16 with symmetrical & streamlined provides a comfortable claw-grip design, long-term use without fatigue. Top choice for computer game players. Excellent wired PC gaming mouse for casual gamers.
- 【Reliable quality & PICTEK Service】 T16 PC gaming mouse, 20 million clicks lifespan, buttons with neat rebound and good feedback. PICTEK will spare no effort to provide the best service to every customer, feel free to contact us when you meet any problem, you will be replied within 12 hours.
In game actions are controlled by two pieces of equipment – the mouse and the keyboard. I’d argue that a gaming mouse is slightly more important when it comes to functionality. In other words, if you are on a budget and can only splurge on one of the two – splurge on the mouse.
The reason is that there is a wide chasm between a good mouse for gaming and a bad mouse for gaming. You really need something that has solid click durability and an accurate sensor. Additionally, if you are in any way trying to make it in competitive gaming, you must have a mouse with extra buttons and customization options. There is just simply no way around it.
If you are primarily a FPS gamer, check out our list of the best gaming mice for first person shooters. We go over which mice are perfect for staying competitive in the shooter genre.
- Drag free cord Cable control (up to 3.2 millimeter)
- Rust resistant spring arm
- Weighted base for non slip gaming stability
- Space saving to organize and manage cords and cables
- Less drag, more frag; Perfect accessory for gaming or office use
The mouse bungee is by far the most underrated piece of gaming equipment in my opinion. Even the highest quality mouse bungees are affordable, and they completely eliminate drag and cord snagging. Any serious gamer knows how important that is – mouse drag is often times the difference between winning and losing an encounter.
A good mouse bungee will come with a few features too. Many of the top options out there are kitted with LED lighting and USB entry ports, maximizing the functionality and feng shui of your gaming setup.
Gaming Mouse Pad
- 【11 Lighting modes】Super Glow Fiber chroma provides a great RGB backlit effect and a colorful gaming setup. LUXCOMS led gaming mouse pad has 11 lighting modes: 7 static light modes and 4 dynamic modes. There is always one for you.
- 【Large size】Measuring 31.5×12×0.2 inches, which is wider and bigger than others. The extended computer keyboard mat perfectly works with all keyboard and mice, and still have a large amount of movement space.
- 【Anti-slip rubber base】The durable, natural rubber base is designed to eliminate unwanted movement and provide a solid platform for eSports gaming. It also comes with textures, which can further enhance this feature.
- 【Easy to use】Plug and play, no driver required. One button control, press one time to change the rgb lighting mode, press and hold about 3 seconds turn on/off. Power-off memory function remembers the last lighting mode you selected.
- 【ULTRA Smooth and Waterproof Surface】This extended mouse pad features a smooth, textile-weave design for extremely precise mouse control and a smooth glide. Waterproof coating surface effectively prevent accidental damage from spilled liquid, it also makes cleaning very easy.
It might sound surprising, but there are actually mouse pads that are designed specifically for gaming. For many, mouse pads are an afterthought, but a proper gaming mouse pad can give a gamer advantages over somebody who doesn’t have one.
The two most important features you’ll want to look for is size and surface material. It’s not uncommon to regularly swing and swipe the mouse with wide strokes when gaming, so it’s crucial to have a mouse pad with the right amount of surface area.
We’ve got a post on the best mouse pads for gaming if you want to dive further into this topic.
- Tenkeyless compact mechanical gaming keyboard Redragon k552 tkl small compact with dust proof mechanical switches cherry mx red equivalent Linear switches quiet click sound fast action with minimal resistance without a tactile bump feel
- Rainbow LED RGB backlit mechanical USB gaming keyboard 19 different lighting effects and game modes 2 user defined modes 6 colors multiple brightness level breathing speed precision engineered keycaps offering crystal clear uniform backlighting
- Ergonomic designed steel series mechanical game keyboards high-quality durable metal-abs construction with plate-mounted mechanical keys and switches that stand up even during the most testing marathon gaming sessions
- Anti ghosting all 87 keys are conflict free nkey rollover featuring 12 multimedia keyboard keys and a non-slip ergonomic, splash-proof design comes with gold-plated high-speed corrosion free USB connector for a reliable connection
- Compatible with windows 10, windows 8, windows 7, windows vista, or windows xp, limited mac os keyboard support works well with all major computers brands and gaming pcs.
A keyboard is obviously a vital piece of equipment for PC gaming. It should come as no surprise then that there are countless keyboards specifically designed for gaming.
At the end of the day, there is only so much you can do with a keyboard design. So with that in mind, gamers really should be looking for a keyboard that is a good fit size wise for their hands. Comfortability comes in many shapes and sizes, so find a keyboard that fits your preferences.
Aside from that, some keyboards are kitted with bells and whistles like USB inputs and LED lighting. Again, it all comes down to your preference and style.
Azeron Gaming Keypad
We believe that the Azeron Gaming Mouse Pad is the mouse pad of the future. This intuitive, high performance key pad is designed by gamers, specifically for gamers.
We’ve done an in depth post of an Azeron Gaming Keypad review highlighting all of the features in depth, but the short of it is that it’s a revolutionary way to play games on PC. It’s almost a guaranteed advantage over those who play games on a mouse and keyboard.
This is the perfect gift for the gamer in your life who is trying to take their game to the next level!
- Precision control: The feel, shape, and sensitivity of the Dualshock 4's analog sticks and trigger buttons have been enhanced to offer players absolute control for all games on PlayStation 4
- Sharing at your fingertips: The addition of the share button makes sharing your greatest gaming moments as easy as a push of a button
- New ways to play: Revolutionary features like the touch pad, integrated light bar, and built in speaker offer exciting new ways to experience and interact with your games
- Charge Efficiently: The Dualshock 4 wireless controller can be easily be recharged by plugging it into your PS4 system, even when on standby, or with any standard charger with a micro USB port
- Note: Kindly refer to the user manual provided as a PDF manual in the product description section
Generally speaking, more casual gamers play on consoles with controllers to play games. There is a large community of gamers who play competitively with a controller plugged into a PC as well.
In any case, a controller is a great piece of gaming equipment to invest in. Custom controllers are designed with better ergonomics than default controllers. They also come with additional features such as extra paddles and buttons that can be bound to in game actions. SCUF Gaming is the most reputable controller company and makes fantastic controllers that can be played across Xbox, PS4, and PC’s.
- Optimized for handheld mode
- Signature HyperX comfort
- Immersive in-game Audio
- In-line mic for game chat
- Two year
Gaming earbuds are great for gamers for all of the same reasons a headset is. Quality gaming earbuds allow for gamers to immerse into the audio of game they are playing and react to audio cues.
Earbuds in particular are nice because they are compact and not bulky like many headsets can be. They are a great option for gamers who play while traveling or who frequently play mobile games.
There is a tradeoff that comes with the convenience of size though. Generally speaking, gaming earbuds are going to be a little worse in audio quality compared to gaming headsets. But at the end of the day, it all comes down to preference.
- 27 Inches WQHD (2560 x 1440) widescreen with NVIDIA G SYNC technology
- Refresh rate: 144Hz (overclocking to 165Hz) Using display port
- Response time: 4ms, Pixel Pitch: 0. 233 millimeter. Flicker less technology reduces annoying screen flickering that can cause eye strain when viewing the monitor for long periods.
- 2 x 2W speakers. Brightness: 350 nit. Panel technology: In plane switching (IPS) Technology. Tilt angle 5° to 35°. Swivel angle 60°. Maximum adjustable Height 5.91 inches
- Signal inputs: 1 x HDMI (V1.4) & 1 x Display port. Viewing angle: 178° (H)/ 178° (V)
Monitors are a basic piece of gaming equipment that are necessary to play any kind of video game. There are tons of manufacturers of monitors out there so you can surely find one that fits your needs.
We like to recommend portable gaming monitors that are lightweight and easy to transport while also providing incredibly high quality video. Most professionals play on smaller (35 inches or less) monitors with high frame rates.
- PROTECT YOUR EYES - High Energy Blue Light emitted by electronic devices (such as computers, TV, smartphones) have shown to increase the risk of vision conditions from sore dry eyes to macular degeneration. Maintain healthy eyes by reducing exposure to high energy blue light.
- IMPROVE PERFORMANCE AND PRODUCTIVITY - Extended exposure to blue light rays may cause fatigue and stress. Filtering out the High Energy Blue Light allows you to focus on your game or task at hand.
- BLOCKS 90% OF THE MOST HARMFUL BLUE LIGHT* - J+S Vision Blue Light Shield protects your eyes by filtering out 90% of the most harmful High Energy Blue Light (400nm - 430nm) rays while letting through the less harmful portion of the blue light spectrum. Overal blue block rate: Low Color Distortion lens = ~52%, HD lens = ~62%
- LOW COLOR DISTORTION LENS - Unlike other glasses on the market with heavily tinted lens. J+S Vision's low color distortion lens is optimised to provides the perfect balance between eye protection and viewing quality.
- QUALITY CLASSIC FRAME - The classic large rectangular frame is suitable for both male and female while covering large field of vision. Spring loaded temples allows for comfortable fitting for both large and small heads.
It’s no secret that the blue light that comes from computers can damage your eyes. Add in the fact that most gamers play for hours at a time and in a dark room, and gaming can have a quite negative long term effect on your eye health. You may also notice that your eyes feel tired after extended periods of time in front of the computer.
That’s where gaming glasses come in. They are designed to block the harmful blue light and can make a big difference over the long run. Gaming glasses are very affordable and well worth the investment. Many of the models out there are actually pretty stylish as well! Take a look at our post on gaming glasses if you are looking to get some.
Gaming gloves are another accessory that are designed less for style and more to help gamers stay healthy. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a serious affliction that can come from using computers for too long, especially if your posture isn’t great.
Gloves help by providing support to areas in the wrist and hand. Your hand has a huge amount of small bones, tendons, and ligaments that benefit from extra support. We’ve done a post on the best gaming gloves available for players that you can feel free to check out.
Exercise Video Games
One negative perception of the video gaming community is that playing video games promotes a sedentary lifestyle. While many gamers certainly get plenty of physical activity outside of gaming, it doesn’t hurt to work some exercise video games into your routine.
There are a few different types of exercise video games. Some are just fun games that require physical activity and stamina. A dance game would be a game that fits into this category.
Additionally, there are games that basically give you a virtual personal trainer and are hyper focused on building an exercise routine. If you are really looking to shed a few pounds that might be the way to go.
In any case, check out our list of the best exercise video games to get some ideas flowing.
A Good Stretching Routine
Last but certainly not least, all avid gamers should have a good stretching routine. Taking 5 minutes out of your day to stretch out the muscles and digits you’re going to use for gaming can make a big positive difference in your health and performance.
We’ve got a list of a few easy and effective stretches for gamers that you can easily incorporate into your routine!
There you have it! Over 20 ideas for you or the gamer in your life. If there’s anything you feel like we’ve missed, let us know in the comments section below.
Last update on 2021-07-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API