Last Updated on September 10, 2020 by Jake
It seems like nowadays, we spend more time indoors than ever. While that’s not necessarily a bad thing, I don’t think anybody would argue that spending time outdoors can be incredibly fun, especially when you bring the game room outdoors.
In this post, we wanted to compile all of the best outdoor games for you to make some memories outdoors! Hopefully, somewhere in there, you’ll find a great game to play with friends or at your next family gathering.
Outdoor Games Ideas
Hook and Ring Toss Game
- Create fun and enhance your entertainment spaces with this DIY Hook and Ring Toss Game.
- All basic parts needed to play the game are included. Comes with a hook, eye hook, string, and 2 O Rings.
- One O Ring is 1.5" in diameter while the other is 1" - choose which one you want to use depending on how challenging you want the game to be!
- Hardware only! Game set up instructions are also included.
One of my favorite outdoor games is also a simple one. You may have seen this game at a bar. pub, camp, or in somebody’s backyard. The object is simple, swing a ring attached to a string and land it on a hook that’s screwed into a wall or tree.
What I love most about this game is how easy and addicting it is to play! You can also get DIY kits for less than $10 most of the time. Check out our post on hook and ring toss strategy if you want some tips to beat your friends.
- 100% SOLID WOOD: Premium craftsmanship boards, varnished surface (easily painted or customized) made using pine wood frames and featuring mitered corner joints. Boards are also 100% ready to use without additional work required
- REGULATION SIZE: Full Cornhole set includes 2 regulation size (4 feet x 2 feet) Cornhole boards for authentic gameplay, 8 all-weather regulation bean bags, carrying case, bean bag tote and rules
- EVENT DAY FAVORITE: Hours of fun with friends and family at tournaments, tailgates, holiday weekends, cookouts, campsites, and more
- PERSONALIZE YOUR SET: Customize the boards with your own decals and designs (not included) to make for the perfect Cornhole set
Cornhole is a game that traces its roots a few hundred years ago and remains popular today. In fact, most would say it’s seen a resurgence in popularity over the last decade. It’s a great and fun game to play at cookouts, family reunions, or by the pool.
The concept is simple, throw a bag at a board with a hole in it. Bonus points if you make it in the hole! We’ve done a detailed post on cornhole rules, scoring, and FAQ right here. Also, here’s a guide on how to make your own cornhole bags at home.
- ALL WEATHER WASHERS GAME – All Weather Washoe's Washer Toss Game is a back-yard game for adults and kids. Played with 2-4 players. It’s easy to learn, but super competitive fun
- WEATHERPROOF – Waterproof washer game boards won’t warp in humidity or rain, unlike wooden washer toss games. Use in damp weather, at the beach or poolside
- THROWING GAME – Like a horseshoes game, but safer. Players toss ring washers at the ring toss targets, scoring 3 points for the center and 1 point for the base…first to 21 points wins!
- HEAVY DUTY – Durable High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) target toss boards are designed to be durable outdoors. Pitching washers are coated to prevent rust. Comes fully assembled
- PORTABLE – Smaller than 3-hole washer games, the target toss boards measure 14. 5 x 14. 5 x 4. 5 inches and nest together for easy transport. Great for camping, picnics and parties
Washers are similar to cornhole in that it’s a great outdoor game to play at a cookout, tailgating, or at a family reunion. Washers’ rules are simple and the game is quite addicting for how simple it is. We’ve done a great post on how to play washers if you’re looking for tips and advice.
On one other note, washers is a great game because it’s really inexpensive and easy to take on the go. While a cornhole set is pretty bulky and somewhat heavy, a washer set is light and compact.
- PORTABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT - Complete frame and net in carrying case just 22 lbs
- QUICK SET UP - Easy snap together metal frame sets up in minutes
- STURDY REINFORCED FRAME - All metal powder coated frame
- STABLE - Wide legs with bent design mean a sturdy net system even in windy outdoor conditions
- FEATURES YOU WANT - Easy net tension straps and a raised cross bar so balls can roll underneath
Pickleball is a game that somewhat resembles ping pong and tennis when it comes to rules and flow of the game. Official courts are about half the size of a tennis court, but if you have a net and a pickleball paddle, you can play just about anywhere! I’ve set up a game in my driveway many times, and it’s a blast.
- SIMPLE TRANSPORT & SET UP: Comes with matching tote bag for quick transportation and storage; Easy one-action set up
- STURDY DESIGN: 12 steel chains help better mimic a permanent target; Five legs create a wide, solid base; Anchor rings and stakes help secure on uneven surfaces and windy days
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighs just 15 pounds; Our lightest portable target
- MESH FABRIC: Extra wide basket tray is made of lightweight, durable, quick-drying mesh; Designed to withstand wind and weather
- PORTABLE: Perfect for camping, trips to the beach, adventures in the mountains or on a trip to the park; Also great for schools, churches, and youth camps
Another game/sport that has skyrocketed in popularity in recent years is disc golf. You may not realize, but you don’t have to go to a local course to get your disc golf fix in. There are portable disc golf baskets you can get to set up in your yard that is the perfect way to practice or go after some trick shots.
My personal recommendation if you want to learn more about disc golf is to go check out JomezPro’s YouTube channel – they cover pro tournaments and pump out some of the best disc golf content on the internet.
Note: we also have done reviews for the best disc golf bags that you should check out too!
- The world standard for the sport of Ultimate
- Official and exclusive disc of the USA Ultimate Championship Series since 1991.
- Listed among the 31 things all men should own by Esquire magazine
- 175 grams
- Foil color on the disc will vary
Ultimate Frisbee is another great game to play with friends – and you’ll likely break a sweat doing it. It’s a super active game that is played on teams. Picture American football but with a frisbee. Even if the competitiveness isn’t your scene, throwing the frisbee is a great way to pass time.
If you’re looking to get into a competitive ultimate frisbee, check out our post on the best cleats for ultimate frisbee so you can get the best possible traction when you play!
Admittedly, human foosball takes quite a bit of people and coordination to pull off. But if you can make it all come together, man is it one of the most fun outdoor games.
We’ve outlined the human foosball rules in a post here, but it’s basically foosball played with people and a soccer ball, just like the name suggests. The playfield is either a blowup arena or a DIY version. Either way, you’re bound to make memories and have a blast with human foosball.
We’ve done a detailed post on Human Foosball right here – everything from the rules, how to play, and how to run a game!
Outdoor Games – Wrap Up
There’s your list of outdoor games ideas! We’ll keep adding to this list over time as we add more outdoor games content. Have any suggestions for us? Let us know in the comments section below.
Last update on 2021-05-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API