Last Updated on July 16, 2021 by Jake
One of the most fun and addicting games you can play is a really simple one. You might have seen the hook and ring toss game played at a camp or on somebody’s outdoor patio.
The premise of the game is super simple. A string is affixed to either the ceiling or an overhead structure, with the opposite end of the string tied to an O ring. A hook is then placed into a wall either directly or hung on a backboard. After that, players swing the ring towards the hook and try to make the ring land on the hook. It’s as simple as that!
Here is a great graphic showing how the game is set up and played:
Where to Buy Hook and Ring Toss Game and What to Look For
The great thing about this game is that there is a lot of cost-effective options. There are really only 2 different types of hook and ring toss sets that you can buy. Some sets will come with a wood backboard, and some do not.
Whether you want a backboard or not is really a matter of preference. I’ve seen many outdoor setups where the hook is screwed directly into a wood beam, and it works fantastically. If you want to play the game indoors, having a wood backboard that hangs like a frame might be a better option.
Best Hook and Ring Toss Games
As far as options without a backboard go, our favorite is a ring toss game that comes with everything you need to play, including 2 different size O rings. This is an awesome feature because you can start with a large ring then graduate to a smaller O ring when you are ready for an increased challenge.
- DIY FOR CREATIVE FAMILY FUN - Create your own Tiki Toss with our DIY kit. It's a Perfect Family Game That Everybody Will Enjoy - Kids, Teens and Adults.
- PLAY ANYWHERE - Play Games Indoor or Outdoor, In Your Yard, On The Patio, Or While Camping!
- SIMPLE TO USE - After Setting It Up, Compete To See If You Can Toss The Hanging Ring Onto The Hook. The Game Is Easy To Learn And It's More Fun Than Any Board Game!
- WHAT YOU GET - Low Thread Profile Hook, Passthrough Ring with String Attached, Mounting Screws, Eye Hook, Cord Lock and Official Tiki Toss Badge
Additionally, there are some great hook and ring toss games with a backboard if you need to protect the surface behind your game.
- RIVALRY - Bring out everyone’s competitive side! Ideal for parties and bar games, the Tiki Toss hook and ring game is sure to win over family, friends, and partygoers everywhere
- Get ready for some serious fun in the sun with Tiki Toss! This classic beach game is the perfect addition to any outdoor gathering, whether you're hosting a barbecue, pool party, or just relaxing with friends and family.
- The durable construction and high-quality materials ensure a stable and long-lasting game, while the stylish design adds a touch of island flair to any outdoor space. Whether you're looking for a solo challenge or a fun activity to enjoy with friends and family, this Tiki Toss Hook and Ring Game Set is the perfect choice.
- The objective of the game is simple: swing the ring and land it on the hook. With its addictive gameplay and endless replayability, Tiki Toss is a must-have addition to any outdoor gathering.
- GIFT FOR MEN - Swing into gift-giving mode with this ring and hook game. It makes a fun present to any guy with a man cave, college dorm room, apartment, or basement bar. Perfect for drinking games!
Hook and Ring Toss Game Strategy
While the premise of the game is straightforward, mastery will take a while. First, make sure you release the ring as still as possible when tossing towards the hook. If the O ring is rotating on its axis, the odds of hooking it on the ring get exponentially smaller.
The second strategy we suggest is to swing the ring on a trajectory slightly to the right or left of the hook. In other words, the ring should make a slight arc on its way to the hook. If you toss the ring in a straight line, more often than not, it will clank directly off of the hook.
How to Make Your Own Hook and Ring Game DIY Style
With DIY ring toss sets at less than $10, it really is a bargain – but if you are feeling ambitious and want to take a trip to the hardware store, here is what you’ll need.
- At least 8 feet of string (maybe more depending on how high your ceilings are).
- One eye screw.
- One hook screw.
- One welded O ring. We typically recommend 1 inch in diameter; bigger will make the game easier, and smaller will make the game harder.
That’s it! Really simple – you can follow the instructions on the infographic at the top of this post after you have gathered these materials.
Need any ideas for your game room? Check out our post of 100+ game room ideas to enhance your fun spaces at home!
Last update on 2022-06-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API